AFCON 2023: Djamel Belmadi calls on a retired Fennec

With just over a month to go until the 2023 CAF Africa Cup of Nations, scheduled for 13 January to 11 February 2024, Algeria coach Djamel Belmadi should be able to count on the return of a retired Fennec.

Six months after retiring from international football (last June), with six caps to his name, goalkeeper Alexandre Oukidja would like to come out of retirement with the African Cup of Nations just around the corner.

According to his FC Metz team-mate and the Fennecs right-back Kévin Guitoun (5 caps), the 35-year-old goalkeeper, who won the continental title as an understudy in 2019, intends to contribute his experience, particularly in terms of team life.

«Talking to him, I think he announced his retirement a little too early. Maybe he was a bit hasty. Ouki (Oukidja) is someone with experience, he can bring a lot to the group. He’s already won an African Cup of Nations. He has that experience and he can give a lot of advice. An African Cup of Nations isn’t won just by the players on the pitch. There’s also everything that happens away from home. There’s a group life and he’s someone who’s important to the group, » reveals Kévin Guitoun.

Oukidja, who has put in some outstanding performances for Messini (including three appearances in Ligue 1’s team of the week), had seen Djamel Belmadi not close the door on him should he be keen to return.

«We made him a cake, gave him a shirt, etc. He said he had retired. If he goes back on his decision tomorrow, all we’ll have lost is a cake and a jersey! In any case, he’s competitive, plays in the first division and plays good games, so if he wants to come back, I’ll consider it», said the coach.

Since then, however, water has flowed under the bridge, and Anthony Mandréa has established himself as a safe pair of hands in the Fennecs’ goal.

A comeback is therefore out of the question, according to La Gazette du Fennec. Nevertheless, he could make himself available if need be, says the Algerian source, knowing that Mustapha Zeghba is lacking game time at Demac and that Raïs M’Bolhi, who has not been called up for months, is not impressing with CR Belouizdad.

The 3rd choice in the hierarchy since June, Oussama Benbot (USM Alger) would be the big loser of this comeback.

DODO K.

Posts Grid

Mali faces coaching uncertainty amid Football Federation crisis

Malian football remains in limbo as the country awaits the date of an extraordinary general assembly to elect a new executive board for the football...

AFCON 2027 to kick off in June/July as CAF dismisses postponement rumors

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will proceed as scheduled in June and July next year,...

Football/ Senegalese Football Federation in Financial Limbo despite historic success

Fresh from its Africa Cup of Nations victory and 2026 World Cup qualification, the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) faces a cash-flow crisis, awaiting nearly €18...

Burkina Faso launches search for new national Football coach

Following the dismissal of head coach Brama Traoré last month, the Burkinabe Football Federation (BFF) has officially opened the recruitment process for his successor. Traoré...

Justice Delayed: Lawyers’ strike postpones trial for AFCON 2025 supporters in Morocco

The trial for 18 football supporters arrested after the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final has been postponed. Originally scheduled for February 5,...

Benzema joins Al Hilal in late Saudi League Shakeup, prompting Ronaldo protest

In a dramatic deadline-day move, Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema has left Al Ittihad to join Saudi Pro League rivals Al Hilal, the club confirmed...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *