Cameroon’s AFCON Preparations Marred by Controversies: Choupo-Moting’s Omission and Friction with Eto’o

As Senegal gears up to face Cameroon in the upcoming AFCON in Ivory Coast, the preparation of the Indomitable Lions is far from smooth. Controversies surrounding Regis François Mughe’s refusal to participate in the tournament and André Onana’s decision to play for his club on January 14, just before the match against Guinea, have been followed by the contentious omission of Choupo-Moting.

Choupo-Moting’s father, Just, shared his perspective in an interview on radio Balafon, as reported by Camerounweb.

«I don’t know why he wasn’t selected. But two days before the player list was released, there were rumors that he wouldn’t be selected. It means that among the decision-makers, some were in favor and others against. Eric is my only son. He played with all the German youth selections. If he agreed to play for Cameroon, it’s out of love», he emphasized.

Moreover, Just Choupo-Moting also revealed a disagreement with Samuel Eto’o before the World Cup in Qatar concerning player bonuses.

«There’s another case where it’s said that there was a problem with a check (after the 2022 World Cup) and that it was his father, his manager, who triggered the issue, and Fecafoot wants revenge», he added.

«Samuel Eto’o called me and tried to threaten me. He was very angry since he understood my intervention at the time as it was interpreted. He told me, ‘Dad, I won’t let this go», he disclosed.

 

 

Posts Grid

Mali faces coaching uncertainty amid Football Federation crisis

Malian football remains in limbo as the country awaits the date of an extraordinary general assembly to elect a new executive board for the football...

AFCON 2027 to kick off in June/July as CAF dismisses postponement rumors

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will proceed as scheduled in June and July next year,...

Football/ Senegalese Football Federation in Financial Limbo despite historic success

Fresh from its Africa Cup of Nations victory and 2026 World Cup qualification, the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) faces a cash-flow crisis, awaiting nearly €18...

Burkina Faso launches search for new national Football coach

Following the dismissal of head coach Brama Traoré last month, the Burkinabe Football Federation (BFF) has officially opened the recruitment process for his successor. Traoré...

Justice Delayed: Lawyers’ strike postpones trial for AFCON 2025 supporters in Morocco

The trial for 18 football supporters arrested after the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final has been postponed. Originally scheduled for February 5,...

Benzema joins Al Hilal in late Saudi League Shakeup, prompting Ronaldo protest

In a dramatic deadline-day move, Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema has left Al Ittihad to join Saudi Pro League rivals Al Hilal, the club confirmed...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *