Tennis/Serena Williams questions double standards in Tennis doping cases

The recent declarations of Serena Williams were  astonishing. Indeed, she has suggested she would have faced far harsher penalties than Jannik Sinner had she committed a similar anti-doping violation. The 23-time Grand Slam champion, who retired in 2022, reacted to Sinner’s three-month ban—handed after testing positive for clostebol—with disbelief.

“If I did that, I would have gotten 20 years,” Williams told TIME, half-joking that she might have even “gone to jail.” The Italian star, who won this year’s Australian Open, avoided a longer suspension after WADA accepted his explanation of accidental contamination.

Williams, no stranger to controversy over drug testing, also expressed sympathy for Maria Sharapova, who served a 15-month ban in 2016 for using meldonium. “I can’t help but feel for her,” she said.

The case has reignited debates over fairness in tennis doping sanctions, with some players and fans questioning whether disciplinary measures are applied equally across genders and star power. Sinner, set to return for the Italian Open in May, has kept his titles—something Williams doubts would have happened in her case.

As the sport grapples with consistency in its anti-doping approach, Williams’ comments underscore lingering frustrations over perceived double standards.

 

Posts Grid

Mali faces coaching uncertainty amid Football Federation crisis

Malian football remains in limbo as the country awaits the date of an extraordinary general assembly to elect a new executive board for the football...

AFCON 2027 to kick off in June/July as CAF dismisses postponement rumors

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will proceed as scheduled in June and July next year,...

Football/ Senegalese Football Federation in Financial Limbo despite historic success

Fresh from its Africa Cup of Nations victory and 2026 World Cup qualification, the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) faces a cash-flow crisis, awaiting nearly €18...

Burkina Faso launches search for new national Football coach

Following the dismissal of head coach Brama Traoré last month, the Burkinabe Football Federation (BFF) has officially opened the recruitment process for his successor. Traoré...

Justice Delayed: Lawyers’ strike postpones trial for AFCON 2025 supporters in Morocco

The trial for 18 football supporters arrested after the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final has been postponed. Originally scheduled for February 5,...

Benzema joins Al Hilal in late Saudi League Shakeup, prompting Ronaldo protest

In a dramatic deadline-day move, Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema has left Al Ittihad to join Saudi Pro League rivals Al Hilal, the club confirmed...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *