Chelsea’s Enzo Fernandez to join Pre-Season tour amid racism allegations

Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca expressed confidence that there will be “no problems at all” when midfielder Enzo Fernandez joins the squad on their US pre-season tour, despite ongoing disciplinary proceedings over alleged racism.

 

Fernandez, 23, was accused by the French Football Federation of singing a “racist and discriminatory” chant after Argentina’s Copa America victory, which questioned the heritage of France’s black and mixed-race players.

 

Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana, who represents France, shared the video on Instagram, condemning it as “uninhibited racism.” FIFA has launched an investigation, and Fernandez has issued an apology for the incident.

Coach of Chelsea Enzo Maresca

 

Maresca, addressing the media, stated, “The player has apologized, and the club has done the same. It’s already clear and clarified.” He emphasized that there would be no internal issues, despite Chelsea having seven black or mixed-race French players.

 

 “They are all human beings without bad intentions,” Maresca said, adding that he had spoken with Fernandez and other squad members.

 

 

Captain Reece James, previewing their upcoming match against Wrexham in Santa Clara, acknowledged the complexity of the situation but supported Fernandez’s apology.

 

Enzo admitted his mistake and apologized to the club, team, and those offended,” James said.

 

He indicated a readiness to address any issues that might arise but hoped the team could move forward.

 

Maresca, appointed in May, and James are both focused on maintaining squad unity and addressing any potential concerns discreetly.

 

Posts Grid

Mali faces coaching uncertainty amid Football Federation crisis

Malian football remains in limbo as the country awaits the date of an extraordinary general assembly to elect a new executive board for the football...

AFCON 2027 to kick off in June/July as CAF dismisses postponement rumors

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will proceed as scheduled in June and July next year,...

Football/ Senegalese Football Federation in Financial Limbo despite historic success

Fresh from its Africa Cup of Nations victory and 2026 World Cup qualification, the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) faces a cash-flow crisis, awaiting nearly €18...

Burkina Faso launches search for new national Football coach

Following the dismissal of head coach Brama Traoré last month, the Burkinabe Football Federation (BFF) has officially opened the recruitment process for his successor. Traoré...

Justice Delayed: Lawyers’ strike postpones trial for AFCON 2025 supporters in Morocco

The trial for 18 football supporters arrested after the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final has been postponed. Originally scheduled for February 5,...

Benzema joins Al Hilal in late Saudi League Shakeup, prompting Ronaldo protest

In a dramatic deadline-day move, Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema has left Al Ittihad to join Saudi Pro League rivals Al Hilal, the club confirmed...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *