Wilfried Zaha or the brain-teaser: A Challenge for Ivory Coast’s AFCON Buildup

The relationship between Wilfried Zaha and the Ivorian national team appears to remain tumultuous. An Ivorian international since 2017, with 30 caps and 5 goals to his name, the 31-year-old player is known for his complex personality, a reality that Jean-Louis Gasset, recently appointed at the helm of the national team, is beginning to grasp.

Indeed, just weeks before the imminent kickoff of the Africa Cup of Nations, Wilfried Zaha’s presence remains a puzzle for Jean-Louis Gasset and the Ivorian team.

Initially called up to participate in the first two days of the World Cup qualifiers, the former Crystal Palace player is conspicuous by his absence.

During Thursday’s press conference, Gasset detailed Zaha’s absence, explaining that the Ivorian Football Federation (FIF) had received a request from Galatasaray to release him on Tuesday evening.

After contacting the player, Gasset emphasized the need for all players to be present from Monday onward in preparation for the upcoming major competition.

«We are tightening the screws», he added. «I asked him if he really intended to come on Tuesday, and he said yes. So, I told him that I would not include him in the squad because discipline is crucial, even for those who played on Sunday and arrived on Monday. A few months before the AFCON, we need to be rigorous», Gasset concluded.

The question of Wilfried Zaha’s inclusion among the 23 players selected for the home AFCON remains unresolved.

Source: infos-sport

Posts Grid

Mali faces coaching uncertainty amid Football Federation crisis

Malian football remains in limbo as the country awaits the date of an extraordinary general assembly to elect a new executive board for the football...

AFCON 2027 to kick off in June/July as CAF dismisses postponement rumors

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will proceed as scheduled in June and July next year,...

Football/ Senegalese Football Federation in Financial Limbo despite historic success

Fresh from its Africa Cup of Nations victory and 2026 World Cup qualification, the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) faces a cash-flow crisis, awaiting nearly €18...

Burkina Faso launches search for new national Football coach

Following the dismissal of head coach Brama Traoré last month, the Burkinabe Football Federation (BFF) has officially opened the recruitment process for his successor. Traoré...

Justice Delayed: Lawyers’ strike postpones trial for AFCON 2025 supporters in Morocco

The trial for 18 football supporters arrested after the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final has been postponed. Originally scheduled for February 5,...

Benzema joins Al Hilal in late Saudi League Shakeup, prompting Ronaldo protest

In a dramatic deadline-day move, Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema has left Al Ittihad to join Saudi Pro League rivals Al Hilal, the club confirmed...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *